Burke County Public Library

Picture Burke

Selected Historical Photographs of Burke County North Carolina

Browse photographs by category:

People      Places      Events      Picture Burke Home

l< First     < Previous     Next >     Last >l

           

Morganton City Schools - Superintendant's Home

Located on the northeast corner of South Green and East Concord Streets. It was razed ca 1970 to make room for the Burke County Courthouse.

           

Source:

Historic Burke Foundation

R. M. Linegerger Collection     

2003-07-08-012

 

 

 

Jonas Ridge School

Hwy 181 Jonas Ridge, NC

Completed in 1939. It had four classrooms, an office, a library, two large restrooms and and an auditorium. Each room had a stove. It was used as a school until 1965. It later served as a community building. In the early 1980's the interior of the building burned. The outer walls were torn down.

Source:

Burke County Public School System

2004-03-31-013

 

 

Linville Falls

Rufus Morgan (1846-1880) took this photograph of Linville Falls prior to the upper block falling in 1903.

Source:

R. Douglas Walker, Jr.

2002-10-17-025

 

Morganton City Hall and Fire Department

Located on the east side of the 100 block of North King Street in Morganton. It was razed around 1962.

Photographer: L. E. Webb.

 

Source:

R. Douglas Walker, Jr.

2003-04-24-002

 

Morganton Furniture Company

Started operations in 1906. Arthur Cyrus Chaffee was the first superintendent. It was located on New Street, Morganton, NC. The company merged with Drexel Furniture Company in 1956.

 

 

Source:

Greene Studio

2004-01-30-006

 

 

The Morganton Graded School

Built during 1905-06. All grades were taught here until the new high school was opened in 1922. The new Burke County Courthouse is currently on the site.

 

Source:

R. Douglas Walker, Jr.

2002-10-24-033

 

North Carolina School for the Deaf - Carpentry Shop

ca 1930

 

Source:

Historic Burke Foundation

R. M. Lineberger Collection

2003-04-01-009

 

 

Optimist Park (Clearwater Beach)

ca 1958

The Optimist Club of Morganton purchased 86 acres of land at Clearwater Beach from J. Edward Butler in 1952. The park remained in operation until 1988. Its official name was for most of this time the Morganton Optimist Park and Clearwater Camp for Youth, Inc.

Photography by Wayne W. Hitt

 

Source:

Wayne W. Hitt

2004-05-07-002

 

 

Piedmont Bank Building

The oldest building presently standing in the downtown Morganton business district. The exterior was restored in 1877-78, and the interior was restored in 1983-84.

 

Photograpy by F.W. Tyler.

 

 

Source:

Burke County Historical Society

(Dr. I. M. Taylor)

2002-09-27-011

l< First     < Previous     Next >     Last >l