Burke County Public Library

Picture Burke

Selected Historical Photographs of Burke County North Carolina

Browse photographs by category:

People      Places      Events      Picture Burke Home

l< First     < Previous     Next >     Last >l 

Absher School
Was located in eastern Burke County.

The last Absher School building was built in 1925. The following schools were consolidated into Absher School: old Absher that was built about 1895, Pleasant Grove, York, part of Corn Hill that was established in 1870. The new school had three large classrooms, a hall, a lunch room and three closets.

Photography by Greene Studio

Source:

Burke County
Public School
System

 
2004-05-10-004

Smokehouse at Bellevue
Bost Road, Morganton, NC

Bellevue was built from 1823 to 1826 by James Erwin, the son of  Alexander Erwin. It is a Federal-styled two-story, Flemish bond I-house.

Source:

Margaret Bickel
Adams

2005-05-20-001

"The Switch" aka "62 Mile Siding"
Hildebran, NC

A. Y. Sigmon's sawmill that was served by a railroad switch is beyond the tracks at left. Julius Cline started a hosiery mill in the building on the right.  Jake Hilderand took the switch off the railroad and sold it to Cline in 1921.  

Source:

Wendell Hildebrand

2005-12-30-003

Amherst Academy

Located in the Amherst Community near the Burke-Caldwell County line.  The academy was started by Robert Logan Patton (1849 - 1920) who named it for his alma mater Amherst College in Massachusetts. It was in operation until 1930 when it merged with Drexel High School.  

Source:

R. Knolan
Benfield, Jr.  

2006-07-27-001

Carnegie Library at Rutherford College

 

was built in 1907 on the Rutherford College campus. (Rutherford College, NC). It served both college students and the public and was the only public library in the County until the Morganton Public Library opened in 1923. The library was razed in 1974. Rutherford College First Baptist Church is on the site today.

Photographer: L. E. Webb

Source:

Historic Burke Foundation

R. M. Lineberger Collection

2003-07-15-015

Dedication of Highway 181

On October 21, 1941 at Jonas Ridge School. Over 1500 people from Burke and neighboring counties gathered at Jonas Ridge to show their support for the completion of Highway 181. Its completion would give Burke County its only highway outlet over the mountains. Judge Cecil E. Cowan introduced the guest speaker Gov. J. Melville Broughton.

Source:

Susan Fitz McAnich

2004-01-02-009

Bridgewater School

Located in Bridgewater, NC in western Burke County. The school was closed in 1922 when the students were moved to the Glen Alpine School.

Source:

Historic Burke Foundation

R. M. Lineberger Collection

2003-07-22-012

Burkemont Hotel

Built in 1920 by John L. Anderson and stood on the corner of North Green and Patterson Streets. It was a frame structure with twenty-four rooms with connecting baths. It was razed in 1968. The photograph shows new 1938 Buicks and their drivers.

Source:

Burke County Public Library

2004-05-05-002

Annie Gordon's House

Located 200 South King St., Morganton, NC. Morganton City Hall was built on the site in 1964.

Source:

Greene Studio

2004-01-13-003

Mimosa Trees(1941)

Intersection of South Green and Concord Streets.

Photography by Floyd Alden Conley

Source:

Michael R. Conley

2006-08-25-002

l< First     < Previous     Next >     Last >l